THE MEANING OF THE TESTIMONY OF FAITH
The testimony (LA ILAAHA ILLA ALLAH ) comprises two concepts: Denial and Affirmation.
FIRST: The testimony of faith denies the attribute of divinity to anyone and anything other than Allah – the Exalted. All those other than Allah, such as the angels, the Prophets, and the rest of Mankind, let alone the idols and the political regimes in the world, are not gods and thus don’t deserve to be worshipped. Therefore, denial in this respect is not a denial of the existence of the alleged gods, but rather the denial of divinity that is attributed to them.
SECOND: The testimony of faith affirms and restricts divinity to Allah alone. That is, the slave must believe that Allah is the only true God, and accordingly dedicate no act of worship to any, other than Allah.
THE MEANING OF MUHAMMAD RASOOLULLAH
A confession with your tongue but a heartfelt belief, “O Allah! I testify that Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is Your Messenger.” That means that none has the right to be followed after Allah, but the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) as he is the Last of His Messengers. As Allah said:
“Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is not the father on any man amongst you but he is the Messenger of Allah and the last (end) of the Prophets and Allah is Ever All-Aware of everything.” (V.33:40)
“And whatsoever the Messenger Muhammad (Peace be upon him) gives you, take it and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain from it.” (V.59:7)
And Allah said: “Say (O Muhammad) (to mankind) ‘if you (really) love Allah, then follow me” (V.3:31)
As for the others than Muhammad (Peace be upon him), their statements are to be taken or rejected as to whether these are Allah’s Book (i.e. the Quran) or with the Sunnah (legal ways, orders, acts of worship, statements etc.,) of the Prophet (Peace be upon him), or not.
CONDITIONS OF “LA ILAAHA ILLA ALLAH”
1. Knowledge, which consists of recognizing Allah as the only true God to Whom worship must be dedicated, and denouncing all gods worshipped besides Allah as false, and that they can neither extend benefit nor cause harm.
2. Certainty that the belief in Allah must be unblemished with any doubt.
3. Acceptance: That is, to accept all the conditions of the declaration.
4. Submission: That is, to fulfil its conditions submissively and willingly being content with Allah as the Rabb (only Lord) and Muhammad (Peace be upon him) as His last Prophet and Messenger.
5. Truthfulness: That is, to fulfil its requirements truthfully.
6. Sincerity: That is, to be sincere in worshipping Allah, dedicating all acts of worship to Him alone.
7. The love of Allah – the Exalted, and the love of His Messenger Muhammad (Peace be upon him), and the love of Allah’s devotees and the people of His obedience, which means the love of all Muslims
Finally, it should be borne in mind that Allah must be obeyed, by following His commands and refraining from His prohibitions. Obedience to Allah must be associated with loving Him, fearing His punishment, hoping for His reward, seeking His forgiveness and adhering to the teachings of His Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) – the last of Allah’s Messengers. The Shari’ah (the laws and religious rites) of Muhammad (PBUH)