Diabetes results when the pancreas( which is an exocrine organ that secretes pancreatic juice and insulin) fails to generate insulin or the target tissues are unable to use the little insulin that are produced or are insensitive to insulin resulting in high glucose levels or sugar in the blood (known as hyperglycemic condition).
Insulin plays an important role in the body, it helps in converting the glucose which is produced from the food we eat to energy.
• There are two major types of diabetes- type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
QUICK FACTS ON DIABETES
• India has the highest rate of diabetes. According to WHO over 31.7million people have diabetes in India.
• According to WHO about 422million people live with diabetes worldwide and about 1.6million people die yearly due to diabetes
• The number of cases of diabetes and death due to diabetes keep rising each year
• There are two major types of diabetes: Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent diabetes) and Type 2 diabetes(insulin independent diabetes)
• Type 1 diabetes actually affects all age group but it is mainly diagnosed in children and teens while Type 2 diabetes is mainly seen in people who are over 40yrs.
10 drugs you should avoid if you are pregnant or plan on becoming while taking it.
1. Tetracycline Tetracycline can harm the fetus. It affects the bone and teeth development of the baby. It can also cause the teeth of your child to be permanently stained.
If you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant while taking this drug, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
2. Thalidomide Thalidomide is teratogenic, meaning, it can affect embryonic development. This particular drug was initially made to be a sedative, it was later used to treat “morning sickness” in pregnant women amongst other things, but it resulted in children born to the mothers.