Exactly 3 yrs ago, we were voted into the office by the good Teachers of Ikorodu. It’s been God all the Way coupled with Support from All.
As at today, we have achieved 6 out of the 7 point Agenda. The 7th point will be ready in less than 7 days. We have gone further to achieve many programs outside our Agenda. It was indeed an open ended Agenda. We can confidently say that we have touched and still touching lives.
When i looked back at that special day 25th May 2017, I and my beloved excos have every reason to thank God. We made up our mind from that point to raise the bar and to take Governance to Teachers. These we have done with utmost sense of humility and responsibility.
Permit me to tender our unreserved apology to whoever we must have offended in the course of discharging our duties. It was not a deliberate nor calculated attempt to spite anyone. We remain committed to the tenets of our great Union
Let us all quickly take a cursory look into what we have achieved in 3 years:
- 1. Establishment of Coop Society–
The fastest growing Coop with over 1500 members with a strong capital base and lowest interest rate of 4% for loan and 2% for commodity. You can assess your account via our website–www.nutikoroducoop.com
- 2. Construction of a Twin Building which has a Gym& SPA and Coop Office. By his grace, we shall Commission the House this year 2020
- 3. Empowerment Programs – We trained Teachers in production of liquid and bar soap, House Paints, Hair Cream, Shoes and Bag& Make up Buz.
- 4. Improved Welfare–We reached out to Teachers that are critically ill and improved on social welfare of our members.
- 5. Sales of Household Items at affordable and lowest interest rates. Pay with Ease Program
6. Health Programs –
We conducted test for Teachers on Eye, BP, Sugar level, BMI, Breast & Cervical Cancer test at NO Cost With experts from UK
- 7. Distribution of Free Eye Glasses tagged ‘Jigi Fakoo’ to over 500 Teachers and eye drops for individuals with lesser medical issues.
- 8. Health Insurance Scheme– We are the first local govt in Nigeria to organise Health Insurance for Teachers in 2018. We have step it down because of LASG Health program which is compulsory for All.
- 9. Celebration of Widows – Putting Smiles on the face of widows was a program we are always proud of. 140 widows were given food items and a psychologist from LASUTH delivered a powerful lecture.
- 10. Celebration of Retirees – We made it a tradition to always celebrate Retirees during World Teachers Day Week. This we have done without cease in the last few years
- 11. Sales of Food items during festive season. We did this in Dec 2018 and decided to leave since we have in place a good Coop.
- 12. Ramadan Lecture – We had the first Ramadan Lecture and iftar in 2018. It was well attended by Muslim&Christian faithfuls. We are promoting Religious Tolerance. In 2020 we had the first Online Ramadan Lecture. It was beamed live of Facebook with thousands of viewers all over the World.
- 13. Carol Service– We had a fantastic celebration of the body of Christ in Dec 2018&2019. It was Awesome as God manifested his Greatness.
- 14. Celebration of World Teachers Day–In the last 3 years, our celebration of Teachers was rated as one of the Best. It was well embraced by Teachers and well attended by special dignitaries including Royal fathers.
- 15. Sporting Activities – We organized events like Table-Tennis, Football, Scrabble, Ludo, Chess for Teachers. We hope we can Commission the Gym soon as there would be a collapsible Swimming pool for Teachers.
- 16. NUT Computer Center almost Ready for Operations
- 17. Souvenir – We can confidently say that the Sourvenir for All Teachers is 99.9% READY. it will get to you immediately we resume by his grace.
- 18. Information Dissemination– Proper dissemination of Information to Teachers through News Flash and Social medial platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp and Telegram.
- 19. Elimination of Dichotomy– For the first time in the annals of History of our branch, we brought together Principals and Headteachers for a special meeting. It afforded them the opportunity to interact and exchange ideas.
- 20. Birthday Messages–
We identify with Birthday celebrants by sending birthday warm greetings.
- 21.Regular Visits to Schools.- The cardinal principle of our administration is to bring Governance closer to the People. We do visit schools on regular basis.
- 22. Promotion Excercise–
We do give moral supports to our Teachers during Structured and Oral training
There are other Non physical achievements that cannot be stated here.
We confidently say Thank God. He has been the brain behind all the achievements in 3yrs.
This piece remains incomplete without recognising the efforts of All Teachers, Branch Executive Council,Immediate Past President NUT Nigeria, Leaders, Elders, ANCOPSS, AOPSHON, Subject Associations, State NUT, Christian Fellowship, MUTAN, Royal Fathers, Political Leaders, TG/PS Education District 2, Education Secretary Ikd LGEA, Retirees, Police, DSS, Man. O War, Onyabo, Captains of Businesses, Community leaders, Print and Electronic Media, Beacon and All Afenifere.
Let me state this without any iota of doubt that the work continues. It is not Eldorado yet We shall continue to do our best to make a Difference in Leadership and Governance.
We do sincerely care about the welfare of Teachers and to this we are committed
Once again, on behalf of the most committed and indefatigable Branch Exco, i say thank you Be the Change that you desire to see is our driving force.
Together, we shall build a Union that will be an envy to other Unions.
Thanks and God bless you All